CHESS - Mr. James Schuyler
• Chess instructor for multiple schools throughout the country, including the 1st place National Elementary School Championship team 1990, and 2008 Nevada State Champion
• National Chess Master, United States Chess Federation
• USCF rated 2360, ranked in top 50 in the country for fast-play chess
• Nevada State Chess Champion – 2007
• National High School Chess Champion – 1988
• MIT graduate
• Trained Josh Waitzkin, subject of book/film “Searching for Bobby Fischer”
STRINGS - Mrs. Mary Vonu
• Director of the Hampton Roads Academy Middle and Upper School Strings Program since 2003.
• Holds degrees from the University of Toledo and the University of Florida.
** Class times for Violin will be determined by age and skill of the students. Each class is about 45 minutes in length. Depending on the number of students enrolled, it is possible that a later class may be scheduled on either day (4-4:45). Mrs. Vonu will personally be in touch with interested families as registrations are received.
KARATE - Sensei Scott Hayes
• Has studied Shorin-Ryu Karate for 25+ years
• Teaching karate since 1994
• Owner/instructor Scott Hayes Karate, Newport News, VA
• Taught seminars/camps in VA, TN, Canada and Bermuda
** Uniforms are not required for participation in the karate program. Belts will be earned as students progress to each level.
FITNESS - Mrs. Shirley Tanguy
• Group Fitness instructor – Victory YMCA
• Fit2Bkids instructor
• Certified Spin, Bodypump/Bodystep & BodyAttack instructor
DANCE - Ms. Megan Brown
Old Dominion University
• Currently dances with Todd Rosenlieb Ensemble in Norfolk, Virginia
• Dance Teacher at Bethel School of the Arts
** Students are encouraged to wear ballet slippers/leotards, but are not required to do so.
GUITAR – Mrs. Julie Hill
• Private instructor for acoustic guitar, Hampton Roads Academy
• Employed by Our Lady of Mount Carmel School
** Students will need to provide their own instrument. Mrs. Hill will personally be in touch with interested families as registrations are received. Private instruction is also an option, and can be arranged through the Ancillary Programs Office.
MANDARIN - Desoon Siu
• Over 20 years of combined study and teaching experience in Mandarin Chinese
• Taught in Korea, New York and Virgina
• Mother of 3 children, ages 12, 10 and 4 years
CREATIVE CORNER – Ms. Emily LaFountain