CHESS - Mr. James Schuyler
• Chess instructor for multiple schools throughout the country, including the 1st place National Elementary School Championship team 1990, and 2008 Nevada State Champion
• National Chess Master, United States Chess Federation
• USCF rated 2360, ranked in top 50 in the country for fast-play chess
• Nevada State Chess Champion – 2007
• Virginia State Chess Champion – 2014
• National High School Chess Champion – 1988
• MIT graduate
• Trained Josh Waitzkin, subject of book/film “Searching for Bobby Fischer”
STRINGS - Mrs. Mary Vonu
• Director of the Hampton Roads Academy Middle and Upper School Strings Program since 2003.
• Holds degrees from the University of Toledo and the University of Florida.
** Class times for Violin will be determined by age and skill of the students. Each class is about 45 minutes in length. Depending on the number of students enrolled, it is possible that a later class may be scheduled on either day (4-4:45). Mrs. Vonu will personally be in touch with interested families as registrations are received.
KARATE - Sensei Scott Hayes
• Has studied Shorin-Ryu Karate for 25+ years
• Teaching karate since 1994
• Owner/instructor Scott Hayes Karate, Newport News, VA
• Taught seminars/camps in VA, TN, Canada and Bermuda
** Uniforms are not required for participation in the karate program. Belts will be earned as students progress to each level.
DANCE - Ms. Adelle Carpenter
Old Dominion University
• Has taught dance for nearly twenty years. Began training at the age of ten as a protégée of Heidi Robitshek at the Chamber Ballet
• Participated in numerous productions of The Nutcracker and other classical ballets for Chamber Ballet and other companies
• Competed in international dance competitions in Peru and Moscow and is a member of the Robitshek Dance Ensemble that performed in Heidelberg, Germany
• Full-length ballet roles include Swanhilda in Coppelia and Alice in Alice in Wonderland
• Served on the teaching staff of the Chamber Ballet from 1994 to 2006 and performed many principal roles in Chamber Ballet's productions
** Students are encouraged to wear ballet slippers/leotards, but are not required to do so.
MANDARIN - Desoon Siu
• Over 20 years of combined study and teaching experience in Mandarin Chinese
• Taught in Korea, New York and Virgina
• Mother of 3 children, ages 12, 10 and 4 years