Hampton Roads Academy is an independent college preparatory school for boys and girls in grades Junior Kindergarten through 12. HRA was founded in 1959 with an enrollment of 60 students. Today HRA enrolls nearly 600 students on the 50-acre suburban campus in Newport News, Virginia.
While known for its academic rigor, Hampton Roads Academy embraces the whole child philosophy. Character and integrity are more than mere abstractions. There are no locks on student lockers. When class work is done, close to nine out of 10 students are involved in sports and extracurricular activities. Nearly ninety-six percent of HRA graduates are admitted to universities or colleges designated as their top choice.
• The student/teacher ratio is 10-to-1.
• 100 percent of HRA students are accepted to college.
• HRA offers more than 50 student-initiated and student-led clubs and activities providing numerous opportunities for students to assume leadership roles both at school and in the community.
• 19 AP courses are regularly offered at HRA. On average, 95 percent of HRA students will graduate with at least one AP class.
• HRA provides bus service to Williamsburg, Gloucester, Yorktown, Smithfield and Suffolk. Click here
to view the bus routes and bus stops.
• HRA athletes compete on 44 teams in 22 sports.
• A member of the TCIS Conference, HRA teams have won 8 conference titles and 5 state titles in the last six years.
• HRA is accredited through the Virginia Association of Independent Schools, a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is a National Blue Ribbon School.