Director of Advancement
The Director of Advancement will report directly to the Head of School and will work closely with the administrative team and the Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees. The ideal candidate will possess a comprehensive understanding of the overall responsibilities of Advancement services including volunteer and donor cultivation and development and all aspects of charitable giving. A high priority is for the support and leadership of the Advancement Office team in their collaborative work supporting the Mission of the school. The expectation is that the Director of Advancement will place a strong emphasis on the major gift effort at the school, working closely with the Head of School to identify, engage, cultivate, solicit and steward those individuals with a capacity to be helpful to the school.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
The highly public nature of the duties of the Director of Advancement requires good communication skills which will be frequently tested. Writing/proofreading skills will need to be employed and a good understanding of the English language, (both written and spoken) is highly important. Organization, prioritization, judgment, and problem solving skills will be challenged.
Other qualities expected are:
• Strong experienced leader with the ability to organize, train and motivate
• Strategic thinker
• A team player
• Analytical and advanced understanding of office policies and procedures
• Responsive and politically astute
• A doer and a supporter
• Superb communication skills, both verbally and written
• An understanding of the importance of strategic communications to the success of the school
• Knowledge of a wide variety of computer programs, including Microsoft Office
• Devise and manage a program designed to attract the maximum gift support possible to the school. This program will include Annual Fund solicitation; Planned Giving programs; Corporate and foundation proposals; and planning for major capital gifts.
• Help develop and coordinate all aspects of the major gifts campaign.
• Keep the Head of School and the Advancement Committee informed on a regular basis of the fund-raising activities of their office.
• Develop a plan to increase alumni and parental support of, and involvement in, the school
• Oversee the current publications and printings which will most effectively communicate with our various constituencies.
• Develop a complete program of research into and an action plan of solicitation of the school’s key prospects.
• Serve as staff support for the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Parents’ Association and Alumni Association.
• Oversee processing of all gift income for the purpose of providing receipts and the maintaining of giving records of donors to the school.
• Develop and lead a professional staff to carry out the activities of this office.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of school
• Support the school and it’s leadership
The successful candidate for the Director of Advancement will have the equivalent of at least seven to ten years of advancement/development experience as well as:
• A thorough grounding in all forms of development, including annual support, major gifts, special events, constituent relations, information services, and communications.
• A significant role in a major comprehensive campaign
• Proven ability to cultivate and solicit six- and seven-figure gifts
• Supervisory experience within a moderately-sized operation
• Extensive experience working with Board members and Board committees
• A development philosophy and practice that is grounded in metric-based performances
• Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is a plus
• Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher
To apply, send Cover Letter and Resume to HRA Headmaster Peter W. Mertz at firstname.lastname@example.org